Day 26 of Whole30 – Tricolour “Pasta”
So I’m definitely loving the whole carrots as noodles thing lately! This time instead of grating the carrots, I just used a regular peeler on them to make a long, wide “egg noodle” sort of carrot noodle. I did the same to my green and yellow zucchinis and voila, tri-colour pasta! So pretty.
My pasta recipe is pretty standard, but I like to add whatever vegetables are laying around in my fridge. I almost always have celery and carrots, so that inevitably goes in, as well as onions, garlic and basil. Anyways, here’s what I did…
For the “pasta”:
- 1 large carrot
- 1 green zucchini
- 1 yellow zucchini
Meat sauce (adjust to whatever’s in your fridge):
- 1 lb ground beef (grass-fed, yummy)
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- some olive oil for cooking
- 6-8 medium mushrooms
- 1 celery stalk
- 1 can tomato concentrate + few Tbsp of water to mix
- diced tomatoes (I like to make pasta sauce when I got some soft tomatoes lying around so I can use them up. If you don’t have any just the tomato paste works, that’s what I did this time)
- 1 Tbsp parsley
- 1-2 Tbsp basil
1. Chop all your vegetables. Use a regular peeler to make the “pasta” (or you could use a julienne peeler to make thinner spaghetti like noodles as well). To get the most out of the carrots and zucchini, I like to peel all around on 4 sides, so I only have a tiny stub left at the end. It takes a bit of practice to get it right, since the zucchini can start falling apart if you don’t peel it equally on all sides. Chop the left over stubs, and either throw them in the pasta, or save for an omelet or something later.
2. Heat olive oil in large pan. I like to use a big wok so I can fit the “pasta” in at the end all in the one pan. Sauté onions and mushrooms until golden.
3. Add ground meat and garlic. Brown. Add in any other vegetables left.
4. Add your “pasta” into the meat mixture. You may want to add the carrot noodles sooner than the zucchini to cook for a little longer so they become softer. Or just throw it all in lol. The carrot will retain a bit more crunch, but still good! Let the noodles steam for a bit while stirring, 3-6 mins.
5. Add your tomato concentrate and add a bit water. Not too much though, the zucchini should have let out some water as well so watch out for that. Stir it all together and add other seasonings. Done. If you’re not doing the Whole30 please add some freshly grated parmesan cheese and think of me lol.