Day 16 of Whole30 – Steak and “Sidekicks”
So I’m finally posting STEAK here. My blog should probably live up to its name lol.
I also have to confess, one of my favourite non-primal staples sometimes still haunts me. Lipton Sidekicks (or it appears they are Knorr… hmm, but why does Lipton flow better?)!
Oh man, I use to eat these all the time. They were my easy dinner when I didn’t want to cook. I miss the convenience, but I’m also ashamed to say, I miss the flavour. I was a pasta fiend in the past. Anywho, I made an accidental discovery in the kitchen today (lol it’s always an accident): grated carrots and zucchini with butter and chicken stock taste almost exactly like Chicken flavoured Sidekicks! OMG! You can bet your booty once I’m back to eating dairy I’m going to be posting a series of my own Veggie “Sidekicks”! It shall be marvelous. AND if I get a food processor with a grating attachment, it should be almost as fast and convenient as the real thing. Anyways here’s the recipe for my chicken flavoured carrot “Sidekicks”. As usual, adjust to your liking. This is meant to be an easy recipe – don’t make it too complicated. Just throw a few things into a pot!
- About 4 cups of grated carrots and zucchini
- 4 frozen ice cubes of home-made chicken stock (approx. 1/2 cup of chicken stock)
- 3 Tbsp of butter
- 1 Tbsp of organic chicken fat
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- s+p to taste
1. Grate a few carrots and a bit of zucchini. Or just carrots (the zucchini has a pretty neutral flavour so I added it)
2. Throw the grated carrots/zucchini, and all the other ingredients into a pot, close it and let it sweat for about 15-20 minutes. Season to your liking and enjoy!