Day 17 of Whole30 – Big Mac Salad
This is probably my best invention in the last few months. This LEGIT tastes like a Big Mac (other non-primal eaters have confirmed this!). I know, I know, it’s probably a little contradictory to want to re-create some of the worst food in the world, but seriously, this tastes good and it’s got none of the crap that McDick’s has. Also I think it makes a pretty fantastic transition food if you’re just starting paleo/primal, or if you want to convince someone you’re eating awesome food and you’re not on some boring restrictive diet.
Big Mac Salad
- 1 pound ground beef -preferably organic, hormone free and grassfed ;)
- 2-3 Tbsp bacon grease (should be organic and hormone-free)
- 1 medium/large onion
- 2 medium sized pickles (extra points if it’s naturally salt-fermented, or if you make your own!)
- Approx 4-5 cups of lettuce (any kind you want, I usually use iceberg here, but romaine, spring mixes, or baby spinach salads also work!) and really however much you want. I like my salads at about a 50/50 ratio of meat to salad :P
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese (optional: omit if on Whole30. It’s still great without the cheese!)
The “Special Sauce”
- 2 Tbsp ketchup (this recipe for home-made, paleo ketchup is AWESOME! And easy to whip together.)
- 1 Tbsp mustard
- 1 cup home-made dairy-free coconut milk ranch. (Recipe here – I make mine without mayo though, and with fresh garlic cloves)
- 1 Tbsp pickle juice for extra zing (optional)
1. Combine “special sauce” ingredients. Let stand while you prepare the rest to let the flavours meld. (Or make the ranch ahead and then just mix everything together)
2. Chop onion. Reserve about 1-2 tablespoons and saute the rest in bacon grease until soft. Add ground meat and cook until it’s done. Add s+p if you like. I like to add cheese here too so it gets nice and melty, but not necessary if you don’t do dairy.
3. Shred lettuce and chop pickles into very fine pieces. Combine salad, pickles, and reserved raw onion and your “special sauce”. Add meat, onion and cheese mixture. And that’s it. Feast!
This makes 2 giant ass salads. Or 4 smaller salads ( you could make some homemade fries to go with it- like sweet potato or squash fries!). Or you could be like me and just eat a giant salad in a pie plate. Screw quarter-pounders – I do half-pounders ;)